Blood Flow Restriction Therapy
Whether you are a patient who recently had surgery, is about to begin the rehabilitation process, or an elite athlete who is looking to improve your aerobic capacity, Blood Flow Restriction (BFR) Therapy may be right for you. At IMPACT Physical Therapy, our professionals are certified in BFR Therapy, which can be used to accelerate and maximize your fitness and rehabilitation goals!
What is Blood Flow Restriction?
Blood Flow Restriction Therapy is the brief, intermittent, and safe occlusion of arterial and venous blood flow using a specialized device while at rest or exercising. Using this technique, a person can exercise with significantly less resistance and still achieve significant gains in muscle strength, size, and stamina.
At IMPACT Physical Therapy, we pride ourselves on implementing evidence-based rehabilitation while using cutting-edge technology. The BFR tools we utilize are FDA listed, Class 1 tools that enhance traditional Physical Therapy while achieving superior results. The inflatable tourniquet and external doppler allows us to monitor and individualize appropriate occlusion pressures for maximizing safety and optimizing outcomes.
What are the benefits of BFR Therapy?
- Increase muscle size
- Increase muscle strength
- Improve aerobic capacity (VO2 max)
- Decrease post-surgical muscle atrophy and recovery time
- Improve bone density and function
- Temporarily reduce pain during exercise
Who could benefit from BFR Therapy?
- Pre/Post-operative patients
- Patients following joint arthroplasties
- Patients with acute tendinopathy or chronic tendinosis
- Patients with Osteoarthritis or joint pain
- Patients with muscle strains or joint sprains
- Deconditioned individuals
- Older adults
- Athletes attempting to improve muscle strength and size
- Athletes attempting to improve aerobic capacity and performance
For more information on this treatment and to determine if it is right for you, contact one of our certified professionals at IMPACT Physical Therapy today!